Betrayal - Lee Nichols
For more info and reviews please visit my Book Review Blog here - A Life Bound By Books

4.5 Stars - Betrayal is the second book in the Haunting Emma trilogy by author Lee Nichols. I first learned about this trilogy last year when the first book – Deception – was highlighted on a few blogs. I hadn’t heard of the book at that point, but I was more than interested in the story. I read the first book and that huge cliffhanger ending was and shocker to say the least. I was hooked from those first few pages and by the ending I couldn’t wait to read Betrayal.

Nichols story, characters and writing has made the first two books some of my favorites I’ve read this year and last. She knows how to draw you into the mystery and that of the ghostkeeper world, keeping the reader guessing just what might happen next.

Emma has so much to deal with in these first two books and if they are any indication, we know she’ll be up against even more in the final book in the trilogy. She’s still learning all that there is to know when it comes to who she is as a girl and also as a ghostkeeper. I find myself more and more drawn to Emma and her ever growing strength, especially as she continues to peel back all the layers of her present and the past. Not to mention the history of the ghostkeepers that she’s also learning about and coming to terms with. Nichols sprinkles Emma’s history and the ghostkeepers history throughout, giving you a much more rounded look at the world and her characters.

And then there’s Bennett – he has his own struggles in this book, and I have no idea just where he’ll come out after all that’s happened in this one. It was hard reading parts of the story – trying to see things from both Emma’s and Bennett’s side of things. He thinks he’s doing what’s best for Emma and the ghostkeepers in the long term, but, is he really? Needless to say, some shocking things happen, things I didn’t see coming and the only way to find the answers is in the third book that I can’t wait to get my hands on!

All in all, the Haunting Emma trilogy, for me is a must read. If you love ghosts and are looking for a good story, with great main and side characters then be sure to pick up a copy of the first two books today and keep an eye out for the third book – Surrender which will be released in December 2011. I love this series and I can’t wait to see what happens next!