Deadly - Julie Chibbaro, Jean-Marc Superville Sovak
3 Stars - Julie Chibbaro’s Deadly is a Young Adult Historical novel written from the perspective of a teenage girl looking for scientific explanations into the workings of not only illness and diseases, but also of the human body. Set in the early 1900’s, it’s almost unheard of to have a girl or woman take on a roll such as a doctor or scientist, and the main character Prudence questions much of what’s in front of her and around her. She takes on a job with the Department of Heath during the time when Typhoid Mary was unknowingly spreading the illness to others.

For me as a reader, the writing didn’t flow as evenly as I tend to like. It distracted me somewhat from the characters and the story. I think this comes from, in part - historicals being a hit or miss when it comes to one I can connect with. It’s not to say that the writing was bad, not by a long shot, it’s just for me… during this period of time, how people spoke, it’s not something I find myself easy to connect with. The story as a whole is interesting and otherwise easy to follow.

Prudence as a character was intriguing and took chances and risks I often wondered why she wasn’t questioning things a bit more. I assume it’s from being a girl or woman in that period of time and wanting to go into the field she wanted to, made her not question things as much as she should. However I always like watching a character grow and while the growth was in small movements at times it was there, making Prudence a character with some strength behind her.

The other characters in this novel didn’t make as much of an impact on me as our main character Prudence. They were there to help carve out a path she would follow, and were extremely important in her life and for that alone, are important to the telling of her story.

All in all, author Chibbaro has written a unique fictional tale about some very real people - from all she’s researched of the past - and interweaved throughout the story her own imagination making Prudence and Typhoid Mary women who’s story needed to be told. I would recommend this title to anyone who loves Historical novels. Enjoy.

For more info and reviews please visit my Book Review Blog here - A Life Bound By Books