The Tension of Opposites - Kristina McBride
4.5 Stars – First off, I read this book pretty much in one sitting. It was one that I didn’t want to put down, one of those books that grabs you from the first page and doesn’t want to let you go until you’ve heard all that it has to tell you. Until its characters within get all who read to hear their story. And what a story McBride has created!

This is a book about two friends and the aftermath of what happens when one is kidnapped, survives and how not only the victim is affected but the people around her.

I was able to quite clearly understand just what our main character Tessa was going through since the kidnapping of her best friend Noelle. It was easy to really know what it felt like to be in Tessa’s shoes from when it happened right through to the end. Since Noelle’s kidnapping Tessa had become more of a loner who enjoys taking pictures in solitude then letting people get too close. She has her reasons for this that’ll be clear to each reader.

Then we have Noelle… one of our other main characters. She was kidnapped and held for two years. Living with her kidnapper and all she went through changed not only her, but the people around her. We learn little about what Noelle went through, but it’s a story that makes it not hard to imagine what she had to live through day to day in order to survive. The reasons why she finally got away are told throughout, but don’t worry… I won’t give anything away. I’m not one who likes give to much away in my reviews, so no need to worry; I try my hardest to always be spoiler free.

It’s a sad story, one that’ll pull on some of your emotions. One that’ll make you feel for each of the two girls and what they are going through. There’s trauma, understanding, love, pain, and fear in this one, yet none of these emotions too overpowering – as McBride has written just the right mix to leave a mark.

One person who was such a light in this story full of emotional scars was Max. He had a clear head and was there for Tessa in a way she never allowed anyone to be for her before. Never pushing, never questioning, just being…. I liked the fact that he was the boy next door type. Max had some great things to say to Tessa that made her think and that I found was needed to balance out some of the healing of Tessa and through her to Noelle.

All in all The Tension of Opposites is one of my favorite books for 2010. McBride has made a fan out of me and I’m looking forward to seeing what she writes next. I would recommend this book to anyone, so be sure to keep an eye out for it. It arrives in bookstores on May 25th. Enjoy it guys.

For more info and reviews please visit my Book Review Blog here - A Life Bound By Books